Browns v. Jaguars observations — Preseason style
The Browns are back baby!!! Winning preseason games means Super Bowls…right..right?! Oh wait — I remember…the last time the Browns went undefeated in a preseason they then went winless in the regular season. Uhhh ok maybe preseasons aren’t that important. Anyways here are some observations watching about half the game and then switching over to Triple D with Guy Fieri.
- I’m not sure what the Browns wanted to accomplish with Deshaun Watson taking snaps but it turned out extremely worthless. I’m curious to see what they do in next game or they just play Brissett and Dobbs. Of course there are rumors about them getting Jimmy G if NFL decides to suspend Watson for an eternity. Guess we will see.
- Anthony Schwartz — yikes — not catching the ball as WR is quick ticket out of the league. This was an issue coming out of draft but his speed and quickness were appealing to overcome. If I were Browns I’d stick him on return duties since Grant is out and they really have no one else. Just weird Browns kept targeting him instead of getting Njoku more targets or even DPJ. Speaking of latter, was that dude even focused or did he not want to be out there? Just weird overall sequence to start the game on both sides of the ball.
- Once the backups and backups of backups were in the Browns looked like world beaters. I did like Jerome Ford, understand why he was drafted, has quick feet and smart running abilities. He was running behind offensive line that won’t ever exist and did really well. Imagine running behind starters.
- The rookies did well and I think to answer my original question in first bullet point — maybe Browns just wanted rooks and 2nd/3rd year guys to play lot more and see who they want to stick around and which rookies are REALLY going to make an impact. MJ Emerson looks ready…Ford looks solid…Isiah Thomas took care of business…Wright and Winfrey were ok…Cade York is fine…waiting on the rookie WRs in next game. Overall good start from latest draft picks. BTW Emerson looks HUGE…once he gets experience and is able to play with Ward/Newsome/JJ3/Delpit he’s gonna be a baller…he’s legit 6'3.
- Brutal injury for Nick Harris — this dude busted his ass in the off season to become a starter and now his season is pretty much over. I mean he couldn’t even roll over and got carted off…I don’t think he’s coming back this season. Ethan Pocic is backup who has had several games under his belt, but wonder if Browns just bring back JC Tretter and ride it out one more time.
- So many starters out and star players not playing, so hard to really rationalize anything. Just hope with next game Browns start out with little more excitement. It appeared they didn’t really want to play until backups came in and were trying hard. Is what it is. GO BROWNS!!