Browns v. Pats observations
There is still a quarter left but this game has been long over. Here are my observations, and quite frankly, I am repeating myself as you will see below.
- I do wonder if the Browns have a true identity. Thought it was running the ball, but that gets scrapped when team is trailing no matter what. Thought it was misdirection and zone plays, but that didn’t really happen at all today. Maybe they have a good defense? Hahaha please. Again last year they had an identity and stuck with it even in tough games. This year every week is something different whether its a win or a loss. But the same general themes seem to pop up. The identity is lost on the team. Whether thats Baker, or Stefanksi, or the defense, team needs to find their identity and stick with it.
- The defense reverted HARD back to the mean. I am not even sure what the game plan was, but it wasn’t even working remotely close. Not even pressuring a rookie quarterback is beyond stupid and quite frankly a fireable offense. There’s talent on this defense but the scheme again makes zero sense and the Patriots offense wasn’t anything complex to defend.
- Again there is no defense complex and challenging for an offense to succeed in the NFL. The rules are literally made that way. Yet the Browns seem baffled (moreso this year) on how to adapt and adjust. Beyond weird and very frustrating. Today was borderline embarrassing. Baker threw into triple coverage. Its season 4, what is he doing? Why is the playcall there? can he not make another read? Is he worse than we think? Just beyond bizarre (and again going back to identity) the Browns always shoot themselves in the foot and ALWAYS create simple mistakes.
- It’ll be a question not answered fully by either players or coaches, but it should still be asked. How does this team go from great to horrible week to week? How did they win a big game against Denver with backups everywhere to laying an egg against a division rival (Steelers) 10 days later with starters? How do you drop 40+ one week and then look like you can’t play football the next. These aren’t the same Patriots. They had the same record and they have a rookie QB who is limited. The focus and attention to detail and presumably lack of adjusted game plan is very striking. Over this season this team has looked good/bad/horrible/great/good/horrible. There is no real identity; no consistent pride/leadership; and coaching is still an issue, especially on defense.
- Browns got winless Lions next who maybe will knock of Pittsburgh, who knows, but its allegedly the ‘easiest’ game on schedule. Nothing easy remaining and this team can’t get out of its own way. These issues weren’t here last year (was that a mirage? pandemic?). Team has to assess who they are because honestly I don’t know what team will show up next Sunday. GO BROWNS!